Donnez / Donate

How to cope with EMS

Technology is in constant evolution. We are now exposed to increased levels of electro magnetic fields. Electro hypersensitivity is a result of exposures to electro magnetic fields (wireless products and other electrical equipment), physician radio frequency waves (wireless technology products). Electric and magnetic fields are invisible but they exist and have consequences on our health. It is therefore necessary to reduce exposures. We have technology and instruments to detect and eliminate these harmful waves.

A Swedish study on electro hypersensitivity (EMS) was done on 167 s. Listed below in descending order, ailment are the causes of electro hypersensitivity:

  • mobile phones antennas
  • global System for Mobile Communications
  • wireless telephones
  • radio transmitters
  • computers screens
  • railway and tramway lines
  • transformers
  • television screens
  • electrical and lighting devices.

These products, appliances, equipment and machines are present everywhere in our environment. However, certain solutions and precautions exist that would allow us to live in health.

Creating Safer Environments: Solutions and Precautions
To begin with it is necessary to carry out an assessment of the magnetic fields inside your home. Certain symptoms of electro hypersensitivity can be reduced by staying away from the source of the electro magnetic field. Certain companies can do an assessment and advice how to reduce magnetic fields inside your home. The sources of emission inside your home have to be identified. This can be done by using a meter which measures electromagnetic emissions or waves. Some specialists such as plumbers and electricians can carry out the necessary work. It is necessary to remove the electro magnetic pollution.

Electrical appliances

  • Avoid stacking electrical appliances as this increases electromagnetic fields.
  • Avoid staying near or for too long near an electrical appliance (especially around the bed, the office or the kitchen). These include electrical wires, baby monitors, mobileand cordless phones, computers, hair dryers, electric razors, bedside digital clocks, etc.
  • Avoid using a microwave to heat your food.
  • Avoid wearing metal on your body (jewellery, key holder, etc) because they could be magnetised (except gold and silver). It is preferable to use watches with a bracelet in leather or in cloth.
  • Avoid ceramic or granite as they could be radioactive. Also avoid plastic and synthetic materials.


  • Switch off electronic equipment (computer, printer, etc.) when not in use.
  • Use a LCD screen which emits less radiation than cathode screens.
  • You can use a screen filter to reduce the electric field.
  • Regarding laptop computers, you must be connected to an earthed outlet; otherwise unnecessary electrical oscillating fields can occur around the laptop.
  • It is necessary to maintain a certain distance between you and the computer; andbetween you and the computer of your neighbour. This includes fax machines, printers and other office equipment.
  • Also try to avoid, as much as possible, WiFi areas.

Electrical Installation

  • Use incandescent light bulbs instead of the low-energy ones which emit larger magnetic fields. People with electro hypersensitivity have reactions to other lighting.
  • Check your electrical installation by a professional.


  • Regarding cell phones – they have been cited as the third cause of electro hypersensitivity. One of the most important precautions is to use these phones with a hands-free kit. It is also important to have short conversations especially when the reception is bad. Move the cell from one ear to the other and do not talk while walking.
  • Choose a phone with the least electro magnetic field.
  • Avoid the use of cordless phones.
  • Don’t a cell phone for children under 10 years old.
  • Avoid using your cell phone while driving in your car, because the exposure to the waves is amplified by many times.
  • You can use an anti-radiation headphone, because the hands-free use of the cell phone, also emits electro magnetic waves.


  • While in the car, avoid being too close to the sound system especially when pregnant, because it emits significant magnetic fields. This is the same for air conditioners and heaters inside the car.


  • Measure the electromagnetic fields in your house and at work.
  • It is preferable to live more than 150 metres from a high voltage power lines, and more than 13 km from a cell tower.

Experts advise that while sleeping, there should be no electronic appliances in the bedroom as you are more susceptible to electromagnetic waves while you sleep. It is important to adopt certain precautions, such as:

  • The cell and cordless phone (including the base) must be kept away from the bed
  • A switch that could be used to turn off all the power to the bedroom.
  • Do not use a clock-radio near the bed. Use one that is battery powered.
  • Avoid halogen lamps because the transformer is continually under electrical tension.
  • Avoid certain electrical heating appliances.
  • A bed without metallic parts is preferable. Remove metallic equipment which are located near your bed. Such as metallic lamps, tables, etc.
  • If you live in an apartment, avoid placing your head along the wall which is common with your neighbours. Electronic equipment could be placed along the wall in the neighbouring apartment.

Sensible solutions

The most efficient solution is precaution. Avoid certain appliances, adopt safe habits regarding appliances, carry out an assessment of the electro magnetic fields inside your house and call a specialist for help.

There are other solutions that are advertised, but the efficiency of these solutions vary according to the individual.

  • The Compensatory Magnetic Oscillator (CMO): this machine is used to protect against electromagnetic waves. Maurice Fillion-Robin, Director, Tecnolab in France explained: “the CMO emits a magnetic signal at the same time of the cell phone to change its harmful effect”. You can use the CMO with the computer and the television too.
  • Other technologies are available, such as microchips which are stuck on appliances that neutralize the dangerous effects of electro magnetic waves. Similarly clothes that are made of wire mesh including caps and other items which behave in a similar manner are also available.

Tips on how to best manage electro hypersensitivity:

  • Avoid the contact with electromagnetic fields.
  • Measure the alternating electrical and magnetic fields in your environment.
  • Reorganize the electrical appliances in your home.
  • Organize work in a reduced-field environment at the office and at home.
  • The recent discovery for treatment by Per-Arne Öckerman, a Swedish biochemist gives new hope for people suffering from electro hypersensitivity.

You can find his research at the following link: Thirty-four electro hypersensitive s were treated for two months “by a combination of high-dose, broad-spectrum antioxidants, pulsed magnetic fields, minerals, acetyl-cystiene, melatonin and gamma linolenic acid. Highly significant improvements were noted for symptoms, which decreased from severe to slight, as measured by self-estimation.”


  5. (International Radiation Protection Association)